Thursday, June 30, 2011

2010 in pictures

Shoutouts:
  • To The Boring Runner, who organized the Sweat Your Thorns Off 5K virtual race!  Honestly I was a little jealous that I couldn't participate because of my injury, when I get healthy I'm for sure participating next time.  
  • To EMZ (full) and Blonde Ponytail (half) who both did Seattle Rock N Roll!  Most importantly, EMZ met Randy Couture of UFC fame! (his son was actually fighting on Saturday night in Kent, Washington)
  • To The Running Laminator, who continued his year of PR destruction, setting a 10K PR in 38:01!  


Post around blogger land:
  • 50 After 40 had a great post about the benefits of easing into your race pace over time, which can lead to a negative split race and possibly not hitting the wall during the race.  You can also save glycogen this way, which can give you more energy at the end of the race.  I was curious about my own stats - my only marathon I ran 2:19 slower on the 2nd half (entirely due to the last 2 miles of the race).  The 2 half marathons I ran 3:12 and 2:04 faster on the 2nd half.  

2010 in pictures:
With Wimbledon going on right now, and that I announced that I'm going to the 2012 London Olympics, it seemed like a good time for this post.

Some of you might be thinking - wait, is there a typo in the title of this blog post?  No, your eyes are not deceiving you, I am indeed talking about 2010 pictures here, haha

During 2010 I ended up going to more events and trips probably than I ever had before, and I didn't get a chance to share that here since I just started this blog in December.

2010 started off with Coachella, a 3 day music festival in the desert.  This was my favorite one out of the 6 years I've gone to so far.  Band highlights included JayZ, Coheed & Cambria, Temper Trap, Faith No More, Tiesto, Gorrilaz, Spoon and Phoenix.  An amazing time!  2011 recap

The 2010 Coachella crew

We went to Vegas to watch the US-England World Cup match, we watched it in a booth at Legasse's Stadium in the Palazzo, great times!  (game ended up being a 1-1 draw)

BFD - band highlights were Flyleaf (below), Dirty Heads, Temper Trap, Gaslight Anthem, Against Me!, Spoon, Silversun Pickups, Matt & Kim, and Sublime w/ Rome.  Probably the best one day festival concert I've ever gone to!

Yosemite - we did the Cloud's Rest hike there, it starts at 4K feet, and goes up to 10K feet, over 22 miles roundtrip.  This is the highest I've ever been up.  That is half dome in the back!

Warped Tour - band highlights were Enter Shikari, Face to Face, The Swellers, and You Me at Six

Of course I did the SF marathon in July, which pretty much went perfect...Race recap

2 days after the race I was off to London (6 days) - stopped by Buckingham Palace

Went to the Tower of London to see all the armor - the armor on the right is for a guy 6' 8" and the left is for someone like 3' 6" or so!

I love tennis, so I stopped by Wimbledon (the tournament wasn't going on then), the grounds are gorgeous, and the weather was spectacular

Had to have strawberries and creme while I was over there, a Wimbledon tradition!

Visited Dover Castle (southeast England) - the castle was awesome to explore.  Also went to the World War II tunnels carved into the white cliffs, they were really cool to explore.

Hiking on the White Cliffs was great, the cliffs are amazing

Visited Bath (western England) - main attraction is the Roman Baths that the Romans built back in the year 30 AD.  Pretty amazing stuff.  Too bad we can't use them now!

Next was Edinburgh, Scotland (3 days).  I did a hike up to King Arthur's point, it was a great hike!  Pretty tough hike with the rocks and some steep ascents.

I went to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - military bands from around the world come to play, an amazing sight to see (it is held right in front of Edinburgh Castle, which is awesome to explore as well)

I love the movie Braveheart - so I visited Stirling, and saw William Wallace's sword.  William Wallace was 6' 6" tall, but his sword was 5' 6" - gigantic!

Next I was off to Dublin, Ireland. (3 days)  The grass was amazingly green in Ireland - this is St. Stephens Green park!    See this post for more pics of Ireland.  The Guinness beer I had at the Guinness factory was amazing!

Visited Kailmanham Goal, visiting was very intense, it reminded me a lot of Alcatraz in SF  Alcatraz visit

I went hiking at Howth (20 minutes east of Dublin), amazing hiking by the coast, just picture perfect weather

Next up was Amsterdam (3 days) - gotta get a picture of this sign!


I rented a bike and rode along the Amstel River (that's where the beer name comes from, haha) - amazing trails in Amsterdam, and the weather was perfect

House of Bols distillery - this is where you can smell 30 different scents, pretty cool stuff - you also get to have some liquor samples at the end of the tour.  I also toured the Heineken factory, great stuff!

Right when I got back - I went to SF Outside Lands - band highlights included Social Distortion, Kings of Leon, Gogol Bordello, Wolfmother, The Strokes, Amos Lee, and Temper Trap

In December I visited San Diego, and we went to the 49ers-Chargers game, the 49ers got demolished single handedly by Vincent Jackson scoring 3 touchdowns!

I'm a huge Stanford fan, we went to Miami for the Stanford vs Virginia Tech Orange Bowl BCS game.  The beach looked amazing!  See this post for more detail on the experience too

The costumes that the Virginia Tech fans had were crazy, haha

Best seats I've ever had for a sporting event - and Stanford destroyed Virginia Tech 40-12!

2010 was an amazing year - from running the SF marathon, going to Europe for the 1st time, going to a ton of concerts, and seeing Stanford win in the Orange Bowl, it was awesome.  

My main hope for 2011 is that I start to feel physically normal again - I haven't felt completely normal since early March.  

Have you ever been to Europe?  What is your favorite place to travel to?  

19 comments:

  1. Not too shabby of a tour there! I've been to Europe several times..in fact, your U.K. pics reminded me of my trip there when I was just 11. Anyhow, I think my favorite country so far was Belgium, of all places! Beautiful country, great food, friendly people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very good travel year. It has been a long time since I was in Europe but a few years back I was in Hong Kong and I loved it!! I'm going to Singapore next year and am already a bit excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, 2010 was an awesome year for you! I've never been to Europe, but I'd love to go to England someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I love your picks. That was awesome. Sorry that Chargers spanked the Niners. You went to more Chargers games in 2010 than me.

    Man, you have seen some great live music in the past few years. It's probably not your scene, but The English Beat is playing a free concert in The City in July. They are awesome live. Seriously, I guarantee you would have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that you do the shout outs to other bloggers. That's so cool.

    I'm totally and completely jealous of all your vacation pics. I love to travel, but Jim hates it....well unless it's to a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great year! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos!

    You had an amazing year!

    I've been to Europe once about 8 years ago and really loved Stockholm Sweden. It is clean, the people are beautiful and the sun pretty much stays up 20 hours a day during the summer. And the buildings are really cool. I also loved france like every other girl in America. I really want to visit Prague. But currently I am focused on visiting brasil hopefully in the next 6 months.

    And thanks for the encouragement and reminders to not do speed work. I feel pretty good and of course that is the first thing to cross my mind after an injury hiatus. Speed work on a cycle is not nearly as fun for me as running. Hope your knee is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nelly. Seriously.
    Your posts are amazing.
    Shout outs.
    Photos.
    Content.
    PureAwesomeness.

    Love it.

    Love. Europe.
    MIL lives in London. Not really a fan of London. But loooooove Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have been to more cool places in 2010 than I have been to in my entire life. No kidding.

    I did get out of Oregon a few times, though. Been to disneyland once too.... :)

    Hope you are back to "normal" soon too. There are varying degrees of that, though.
    Have a great weekend, N!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What awesome experiences! Thank you for sharing them with us! I have only been to Europe once. I toured all of Italy and it was fabulous. I would love to go back and see other countries though. Specifically England so I can eat those strawberries! Holy yumminess!

    I was in Hawaii last summer and that was probably my best travelling experience so far. Between the beach, the surfing, the sun, and the amazingly hospitable and nice people...the trip was absolute perfection. I would live there if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you had a crazy busy year!

    Your pictures are AWESOME! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was cool, thanks for sharing your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a trip of a lifetime. I' hoping your year ends better and you get back to feeling normal. Loved all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you won the award for closest race time prediction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, I have been out of the loop for about two weeks!!! I haven't been reading or posting. Thanks for the nice shout out! I still love the "Fear The Tree" shirt the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! What an awesome year. That Europe trip looks AMAZING.

    Hope you get feeling better. Here's to a better second half of the year for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing year you had! Great pictures - they tell a great story. I don't travel a ton but I love tropical beach type vacations. I'm hoping to do more adventure traveling in my future.

    Take care of you!! I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you did more in 2010 than I've done in the last 7 years. Coincidentally, we started having kids 7 years ago, go figure.

    Most jealous of your trip to London. Awesome pics!

    I am currently on a family vacation in Minnesota, so it's not like I never go anywhere. It's nice to get away from the 100º days of Kansas. Running is pretty enjoyable up here as long as I'm out running the mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your PT is going well!

    ReplyDelete