Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I'll make this a short post because I'm busy with tax season, but wanted to wish everyone a Happy St. Patty's Day!  Maybe this holiday means more to me because I'm half Irish (and my Mom is full Irish), haha

Most people have probably already heard this poem below, but it is one of my favorites:

May the road rise to meet you:
May the wind be always at your back,
The sun shine warm upon your face,
The rain fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again
May Gold hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Maybe this poem means more to me right now because of what is going on in Japan.  I visited Tokyo in 2007, and it was an amazing time.  The people are super nice, and they definitely had a collective care about each other.  I didn't see an ounce of trash on the ground anywhere in the city - and the subways were literally spotless.  This is a small example about them caring for the well being of all.  I guess it's hard for me to read the news about Japan, because every day it seems like the news is getting worse.  Everyone needs to pray for Japan.  My feelings echo the thoughts my friend Alex posted on his blog.

Here are some of my pics from when I visited Dublin in August, Ireland is an awesome  place to visit.  

Howth - a seaside town close to Dublin, amazing trails to hike on that overlook the water

Howth - a seaside town close to Dublin, amazing trails to hike on that overlook the water

Howth - a seaside town close to Dublin, amazing trails to hike on that overlook the water


Went to Guinness brewery - the best pint of Guinness I've ever had!


Had an Irish coffee at the Jameson distillery - the best Irish coffee I've ever had!  =)

Kailmainham Gaol - a very creepy prison, where a lot of the Irish rebels were held.  Definitely worth a visit.

St. Stephens Green - the grass is amazingly green in Ireland, I see why golf was invented in this part of the world now, haha

I thought the runners would love this - its a painted track on grass!  I didn't actually run on it, but it was just awesome, haha


11 comments:

  1. Great thoughts on Japan Nelly! And yeah, that grass track looks nice and cushiony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! Thanks for sharing. I use to live and work in Ireland when I was 20 and loved it but can you believe I never made it to Dublin? I just did a blog on Japan too. I feel horrible for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the Japan situation - it's so awful..and I Love your Dublin pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures – I would love to go to Ireland (in the summer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to visit Ireland. Play golf there. I played in Scotland, Ireland is next. You are a little on probation for not taking SDSU in the Final 4. I may have to root for Cal over Stanford in the Big Game as your punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree- the devastation in Japan is heart breaking.

    These are wonderful pics--I have been watching Bobby Flay's Ireland and getting a taste of the beautiful country via the Food Network.

    Good luck this last stretch of tax season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally envious of your vacation photos.

    And yes, a heartfelt prayer to Japan. So, so, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nelly, yes, I need to look for tix for the Sweet 16 in Anaheim. I'll let you know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim - glad you like the track!

    Coy - that is hard to believe you never made it to Dublin! I loved the city, would definitely go back there. I'll definitely check out your Japan post.

    Kate - glad to hear you had a fun time in Dublin too!

    Tri-James - yea Dublin in the winter is probably rough! haha

    Chris K - I also went to Edinburgh Scotland, but didn't go to St. Andrews. Everyone who I talked to told me I should have, haha

    Jess - just from what I saw in Dublin, Ireland is indeed gorgeous, I've heard the rest of the countryside is amazing. Thanks on tax season!

    Page - didn't mean to make people jealous, haha

    Chris K - awesome, you need to go! Go Aztecs, I hope they win the whole tourney!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Jayhawks!

    I wouldn't mind going to the Guinness brewery. Nice pics of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete